Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The importance of history

So, I've often wondered how to explain that history is important. I have never heard a good explanation for convincing those who are determined to get it out of our school systems. I just know that I feel like it is very important that we don't lose this aspect of our education. I feel like a good, educated person does need to know their history. The only argument I've ever heard of for history is the quote, "those who don't know their history are doomed to repeat it." And I can't even tell you who said that.
  Well, being a mother has given me a new perspective on the importance of history. I often spend a good portion of my day alone with my thoughts, which gives me some time to think about things as I am puttering around the house. I have often found myself thinking about how to take care of Jace and solving the little problems we encounter--lately that's been helping him get naps during the day. History has helped me put things in perspective. Only recently was it so easy to get laundry done. I admit, it's still time consuming, but certainly not in the way that it once was. Cooking is also a breeze now, compared to what it once was. Having done reenacting, I know that you often start dinner first thing in the morning, and bread for the next day was set to rise overnight. Pretty much you were constantly cooking for the next meal, when you weren't cleaning up after the one you just had.  So how did those parents raise new children? I figure, they probably didn't have quite so much time on their hands to spend just devoted to caring for the children. They certainly couldn't have been as spoiled as children are now. The ease of life now also explains the rise of hover-parents.There isn't quite as much to do now as there once was. So, I guess what this train of thought boils down to is, it's ok if I don't have the baby constantly at my side. It's ok if he cries for a minute while I finish getting ready for the day and then pull out the meatballs from the oven. He'll survive, and I'll still be taking care of him as much as he needs.
  Of course, there is the argument that less attention to children, as happened then, would explain why so many children didn't make it to adulthood. But I figure with the ease of life today, we can strike a balance. I can tend to Jace when he needs it, but it's ok if I'm not constantly responding to every whine. I'll make sure he has the love and care that he needs, and things will get done around the house too. But if sometimes they don't get done because Jace needs more attention, it's ok too.

No comments:

Post a Comment